Sunday, March 11

Fellowship

and all the other reasons your momma told ya you had to go to church......
There is something to be said for a little corporate worship and gathering together to encourage one another in the name of the Lord, spur each other on (which isn't always a painless process-by definition). I have never understood how some can swear by not needing a church family to thrive and grow their faith. I have trouble when i am not surrounded by believers. Is this because i am such a people person, is it because my faith isn't strong enough to abide alone, or is it simply because it is a biblical concept that we need and long for this fellowship? Even Jesus didn't go out alone. He travelled with his disciples and when he sent them out into the world to witness he sent them out in pairs...and this is for a very good reason. You need someone to hold you accountable, to encourage you, to lift you up, to keep you going when you're not even sure which is the right direction to head in, to keep you company on the long quiet dark roads.

I miss my church family and the constant discipleship i get from it...i miss my community group, and my community of friends that i have spent almost 3 years making-those that have supported me through a lot, who can look me in the eye and tell me to quit complaining and just do it, who don't have to hear the words coming out of my mouth to know what i'm trying to say, cause they know me just that well....even celia's psychoanalyzing my life (however, sometimes i think i just might be your practice pet). i just have a hard time, when all that is pulled away from me, to continuously worship and seek Him like i should. I think this is partially because being immersed in it keeps your eyes focused on the cross, but it also puts everything in the right frame. Maybe i just use that as a crutch....but either way....I could use your prayers, cause it is a little dark down here (even with the constant sunshine) and I don't have any support. I need to be focused on Africa, but I seem to be finding 5 million other things grabbing my attention. I totally know it's all excuses, but still...i need to get my butt in gear :)

2 comments:

Pam said...

Erin,
I'm so glad we have the internet to share life like this. I don't know how you feel, but I do. I can always feel a differnce when I am deprived of Christian fellowship, even when I am here. I have always been on your side of the fence in that I think it is a real need God placed in us. There is something very powerful (with a lasting effect) about corporate worship and prayer, fellowship. I will pray. Keep us posted.
hugs,
pam

Unknown said...

Girl, we never stop praying for you! But you're right, you're just so far away right now. If you ever want to make a mutual road trip and meet somewhere in the middle of New Orleans and Fort Payne, you just let me know and I'm there. No matter what, I'm still going to start praying for some Christian fellowship to develop around you just like it did for me in Nashville (I wonder who they could've been... :) I love ya and hope to see you soon.... Jess